Breadcrumb Menu

Change of Major

Comparative Ethnic Studies

As with all major programs in the College of Liberal Arts, the demand for the major in comparative ethnic studies will be greater than the space available.

Criteria for Internal Transfer Applicants

  • Must submit the following materials as a set to the Ethnic Studies Department:
    1. A one-page statement explaining reasons for wishing to change to the comparative ethnic studies major.
    2. A copy of the unofficial transcript printed by accessing your account at
  • Apply for admission during the first four weeks of the quarter (fall, winter or spring).
  • Meet with the department contact to complete an Individualized Change of Major Agreement (ICMA). 

The Following Will be Incorporated into the ICMA

  • Must not be on academic probation at the time of major change.
  • Must have a cumulative higher education GPA of 2.5 or higher or a higher education GPA of 2.5 or higher for the last two quarters.
  • Must complete at least two of the following ethnic studies courses: ES 112, ES 212, ES 241, ES 242, ES 243, ES 244, ES 320, ES 321, ES 322 and/or ES 323 with a GPA of 3.0 or higher
  • The change of major will be approved once the student has successfully met all the requirements of the ICMA.

The above policy also applies to students wishing to add the comparative ethnic studies major as a second major.

Students who enter into an Individualized Change of Major Agreement (ICMA) with the department and are not accepted into the comparative ethnic studies major within two quarters will not be eligible to reapply to the major. In this event, students are advised to consider pursuing an ethnic studies minor.

Department Contact: Denise Isom, Department Chair, or the Ethnic Studies Department (38-136) at 805-756-1707

Related Content